(VANCOUVER, CANADA) July 15, 2021 – 402 Dunsmuir, a prestigious office tower at the heart of downtown Vancouver, has successfully achieved LEED Gold Core and Shell certification. Footprint was engaged as sustainability consultant for the project, providing energy modelling services and LEED facilitation.
The nine-storey mixed-use office building at 402 Dunsmuir street was specifically designed for an anchor global tech firm, and balances modern amenities and efficiencies, the “industrial loft” style common to Vancouver, and Canada’s vision for smart, better, and greener communities. It features floor-to-ceiling glass, modern amenity and retail spaces, convenient parking, and easy access to public transportation.
Sustainability measures included:
- Optimizing the location’s street connections, and alternative/public transportation options.
- High-performance triple glazing.
- Efficient lighting solutions with LED and mandated lighting reduction in tenant lease agreement.
- Energy efficient mechanical and electrical systems and equipment, such as dedicated outdoor air unit with variable speed fan-coil units, district steam heating, heat recovery on exhaust air, demand control ventilation, and heat recovery chillers.
- Minimizing the environmental impact of the design through strategic landscaping.
In addition, the tower features a secure, integrated building platform to improve operational effectiveness, user experiences and, ultimately, energy efficiency.
Such energy performance optimization strategies modelled 26 per cent energy cost savings compared to an ASHRAE 90.1-2007 baseline building.
Footprint is a highly-specialized team of engineers, planners, architects, designers, and sustainability professionals. With offices across Canada, Footprint provides an evolving list of services, including sustainability certification, energy modelling, measurement and verification, energy management, and daylighting analysis. The Footprint team draws extensively from their technical background and experience on a diverse range of projects – many of which are leading national examples of sustainable design. The team has earned the trust of public and private clients in markets across Canada, providing reliable yet innovative solutions at every project stage. A proud member of The Smith + Andersen Group of Companies, Footprint’s foundations lie in technical expertise gained from a proven consulting engineering firm.